Google Apps are a range of communication and collaboration applications. There are several component apps in the suite, such as Docs, Drive, Hangouts and YouTube.
Looking for your student timetable? Please view the University's Timetabling website for student timetable guides and info.
Google Drive provides a collaborative online space for uploading, sharing, reviewing and editing files.
Google Docs, Sheets and Slides are collaboration tools.
Google Hangouts allows you to send messages and make video calls.
Watch our video or read a written guide (below).
1. Log in to MyBeckett with your Username and Password.
2. Locate Student Email on the Get Started tab. This tab appears for the first six weeks of your course. After that, you can find Student Email on the IT Support tab.
3. Click My Info to find your username (which is also your email address.) You need this to log in, so copy it to clipboard or remember it. Then click Close Info.
4. Click Email.
5. Paste the username you copied from My Info (e.g. B.Smith1234@student.leedsbeckett.ac.uk) into the username box, then click Next.
6. Enter your password, then click Sign in.
7. For more info about Gmail, please visit Google's official support and guides website.
If you'd prefer to use the GMail app, please see our other guide.
1. Tap Settings.
2. Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
3. Tap Add Account.
4. Tap Google.
5. Enter your username e.g. email@example.com and your password. Tap Sign in.
6. You'll be asked if you want to allow iOS to access your Google account. Tap Allow.
7. Choose which Google services to sync with your device. We recommend Mail as a minimum. Click Save.
8. Open the Mail app. Your mail downloads to your device.
If you're having trouble using the native mail app, please follow our guide to setting up the Gmail app.
If you'd prefer to use the native app, please see our other guide.
1. If you don’t have the Gmail app, download it from the App Store.
2. Once it's downloaded, tap the Gmail icon.
3. Choose a Gmail account you've added to the device, or tap Add account.
4. Enter your username e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org and your password. Then tap Sign in.
5. Check the circle to the right of your name is blue (if it isn’t, swipe the circle right). Then tap Done (top left of screen).
6. You can turn off or remove accounts. To turn off an account, swipe the blue circle to the left, this changes the colour to white. To remove an account, click Edit (top right of screen) then tap Remove. Tap Remove again to confirm.
1. If you don’t have the Gmail app, download it from the Google Play Store.
2. Once it's downloaded, tap the Gmail icon.
3. Tap Add an email address.
4. Select Google, then tap NEXT.
5. Enter your username e.g. a.student1234.leedsbeckett.ac.uk and tap NEXT.
6. Enter your password and tap NEXT.
8. Tap the Gmail app icon to open it. Check the icon to the left of your name is green, then tap TAKE ME TO GMAIL.
9. Your inbox opens.
To forward all of your student emails e.g. to a personal or work account, please:
1. Log in to your student email account on a PC or Mac.
2. Click the Gear icon (top right of screen) and click Settings.
3. Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
4. Click Add a forwarding address and enter the address you'd like your email forwarded to.
5. Click Next, then click Proceed.
6. A message appears stating A confirmation code has been sent to verify permission. Click OK.
7. Log in to the email account you're forwarding emails to. Find the email from Leeds Beckett University and click the verification link to confirm your forwarding address. You'll see a Confirmation Success message.
8. Return to the Forwarding settings in your student email. Click on Forward a copy of incoming mail to, select the forwarding address and keep Leeds Beckett University - Students Mail's copy in the Inbox.
After you graduate, you'll permanently lose access to your student email account and emails (unless you've been forwarding copies to another account.)
Please transfer your student emails to an alternative Microsoft based account as soon as possible. You can't get them back once you've left.
The simplest method is via an Outlook or Hotmail email account. If you don't have one,please create one. If you do have one, ignore steps 1-3 and go straight to step 4.
1. Create an outlook.com account, via the Microsoft account creation page.
2. Click Or get a new email address.
3. Ensure it's an Outlook or Hotmail address. The process doesn't work with other accounts.
4. When you've created an outlook.com / hotmail.com account, log in to it.
5. At the top right of the screen, click the cog then click Options.
6. Under the left headings click Accounts, then Connected Accounts.
7. Under 'Add a connected account' click Gmail, then OK.
8. Type the username of your student Gmail account e.g. email@example.com, then enter your password and click Accept.
9. You're advised the import process has started. Ignore the option Want to receive new emails that arrive in. Your student email account is permanently closed after you've graduated, so there's no point getting new emails.
10. Click Close
11. An indicator at the top of the screen shows the import progress.
12. When the process finishes (it takes at least an hour - you can log out while you wait) your student email appears on the left under Categories. Select it and choose View: All at the top of your emails.
13. Use the search function (top left) or the controls at the bottom of the page to navigate if needed.