Do your colleagues know the journal?
- Speak to your colleagues, Academic Librarian or Research Services about any journal you're unsure about
Is the publisher easily contactable?
- The publisher should have clear, professional contact details including a business and email address
Is the peer review and editorial process clear?
- Peer review is crucial for maintaining the quality of journal publications. If the process is unclear or absent, this is warning sign
- Do you recognise the editorial board? Do they belong to the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE)?
See if you can find the journal within the Library's subscriptions
Fees and Payments
- You should not have to pay upfront fees when you submit your manuscript to a publisher
- Is there an Article Processing Charge (APC) to pay if the article is accepted for publication? Many legitimate publishers/ journals do charge an APC, but please see our webpage first
Open Access (OA) journals
For more information see the Think. Check. Submit. website or contact us