An Article Processing Charge (APC) is a fee charged by publishers to individuals or institutions wishing to publish their article in a journal which uses the Gold Open Access model. The benefit of this model is that anyone can read the research from the publisher's website for free, but the cost of the APC has to be considered. Please contact your Director of Research for guidance on APC funding available in your School.
Leeds Beckett University has agreements with the following publishers which may mean your APC is discounted or free:
- BioMed Central (BMC): 15% discount on APCs when the Leeds Beckett prepay membership account is used. This discount is available if your school has deposited funds into the account.
- Sage: Corresponding authors publishing an article in 900+ subscription journals in the current SAGE Premier package, the IMechE Journal Collection and the Royal Society of Medicine Collection, can be published open access, free of charge. Corresponding authors publishing in gold open access journals will receive 20% discount on the APC.
- Springer: Selected Open Choice journals have a waived APC. When your article has been accepted, select Leeds Beckett University as your institution and you will receive confirmation that your charge has been reduced to £0.
- Taylor & Francis: Open Select journals have a 75% discount in the Humanities & Social Sciences and Science & Technology Portfolios. The discount is automatically applied when you select the option to publish Open Access in an eligible journal, until the quota has been reached.
- Wiley: Authors affiliated with UK institutions participating in Wiley’s new Jisc agreement (including Leeds Beckett) may publish primary research and review articles in any of Wiley’s fully Gold Open Access or Wiley’s hybrid (subscription), OnlineOpen journals without having to pay the APC directly. Instead, this will be taken from a shared fund for participating UK (Jisc) institutions, until the fund is exhausted.
Please contact us for further information on how to access these discounts.